Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Dynamic re-arrangement of column data

mjh418
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

I need help with dynamic re-arranging of data.

Example:

Start DateEnd Date
January 2020April 2020

I need this to Dynamically change into just 1 column consisting separate months like the expected outcome below. The date input will be different all the time. for example, sometimes the workflow will spit out Jan to June, sometimes Jan to December, sometimes February to August, sometimes more than a year, like Jan 2020 to March 2021.

Dates
January 2020
February 2020
March 2020
April 2020

So the requirement is that it needs to start with the start date, end with end date, and have all the consecutive months in between. The simpler the workflow, the better. Assumption is that the input is not a manual input, it is a RESULT of a workflow. Also it cannot be a macro tool because this will be PART of a macro.

Thank you for your time!

5 REPLIES 5
Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @mjh418,

I have created a workflow that will show you the month names for the respected time range:

Emil_Kos_0-1624271370364.png

Generate rows is a perfect tool to obtain this result. 

mjh418
8 - Asteroid

@Emil_Kos 

Thank you so much, but can you please modify this so that it always gives me the LAST DAY of each month instead?

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi,

Please see amended workflow attachted.

Emil_Kos_0-1624443718413.png

mjh418
8 - Asteroid

@Emil_Kos 

I'm sorry but can you assume that the input is not January 2020, but already in date format as the last day of the month? for example, 2020-01-31, 2020-02-29 etc.

somehow when i skip the parse to date tools, and apply everything else the same as you did, it gives me weird results.

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @mjh418,

I have amended the workflow for you:

Emil_Kos_0-1624445066169.png

It should work like you want it to work. Basically, I needed to create a row for each day of the month to be sure that we identified the last day of each month correctly. 

Labels