Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic range

Hamder83
11 - Bolide

Hi 

How do I solve this:

lets say I have a post code mapping files.
1 - 100 - Zone 1 
101 - 200 - Zone 2 and so on.

Then I wanna add my input data that has a postalcode 75 - then it add's Zone 1 to that row.

Without having to do a join and then a filter... because i have millions of input rows and hundreds of mapping rows.

?

11 REPLIES 11
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

your data didn't post - you'd have to use it as a text input or use the export workflow to have your data post with your workflow - having said that, perhaps a TILE tool set to manual option - where you can then use your zone cutoffs in the manual option...

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Hamder83 

If your boundary conditions are fixed and known, you can used a Formula tool and if then elseif else endid syntax to get the additional column.

do you need the upper and lower boundaries to be dynamic inputs?

dawn 

Hamder83
11 - Bolide

I will take a look into that, thanks 🙂 

Hamder83
11 - Bolide

Hi @DawnDuong , 

I would pref for it to be dynamic, since we are using a similar methodoligy for several mappings, weight and so on.
Which is not always equal in our input to our mapping tables.

So I was hoping to find something that was not hard coded into a formular.

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

hi @Hamder83 

if you want the upper and lower boundaries to be set by a mapping file (ie not hardcoded in formula), you can consider an iterative macro that takes 2 inputs:

1) fixed input is your mapping range table (sorted in ascending order)

2) iterative input is your data with millions of rows (sorted in ascending order)

set iteration number = number of records in 1.

set the loop as follow:

A) for the 1st run, take the 1st row of the mapping table. For the 2nd run, take the 2nd row and so on.

B) append A to the data tables. This does not change the number of records.

C) those records that falls into the range (compare data vs the new appended field) > output 

D) those that dont then loop back to iterate.

You should be able to get the results in 1-2 min.

dawn 

Hamder83
11 - Bolide

Hi @DawnDuong 

If I ask nicely, would you mind trying to create a sample workflow? I have a hard time understand how to do this.

but if it acuatly works then it would make a several of my processes a lot more lean.

Thank you 

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

hi @Hamder83 

I do a simple mock-up workflow here. You can make tweaks to the tools upstreams of the filter if your exact data inputs are different. But the idea is the same as the schema I explained in the earlier reply.

Hope it helps. 

Dawn.

Hamder83
11 - Bolide

Hi @DawnDuong 

This is super smart, i have never seen the itteration function before. Ill try and play around with it, but that clearly works so i'll accept as solution 🙂 

Thank you very much

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Hamder83

glad that it works for you.

i learnt how to do macros by seeing the interactive lessons and the recorded videos. Highly recommend that you check them out if you work involves a lot of repetitive excel tasks.

Dawn 

Labels