Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic input file - name changing

Dakotas
6 - Meteoroid

Hi all,

I have an input file that gets updated every week and the name changes to reflect that date, the name structure looks like this: "210127_Affiliation Data"

Is there a way to have Alteryx pick up that file even when the name changes or will I need to go in and re-link the input tool to the newest file? I was reading that it might be possible to have Alteryx pick up the latest file in a folder, but there could be other new files in the folder as well (with more static names) so I'm hoping there might be a way to do this based on the name structure.

Thanks!

-Dakota

5 REPLIES 5
echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

If this is the only file in the folder with that naming convention, you can simply have a wildcard in your input. Configure your input for one of the files, then go in and delete any part of it that will change and replace it with a *. The asterisk is a wildcard. For example, below will look for any file in the folder that has Affiliation Data at the end and is a csv.

echuong1_1-1611757904860.png

Another option is to us a directory that will read in all of the file names from the folder. From there, you can use filters, sorting, and sampling to identify the file name that you'd like to import. This would then go into a dynamic input. You'll have to reconfigure the directory and dynamic input, but I've attached the general process.

Hope this helps!

echuong1_0-1611758068692.png

Dakotas
6 - Meteoroid

This is so helpful, thank you! I'll dig into the wildcard feature a little more, I think my users might end up just dropping the file into the folder w/ the others so it might not be the only one in there. If I can't get them to delete the old file, I'll explore the directory route! 🙂

devano_mowes
5 - Atom

Would it be possible for you to attach a copy of what the "Input File Data Bases.xlsm" file looks like?

I am trying to determine whether this is a simple list of file names "ABC.xlsx" or just ABC" or the full file path "O:\Clients\ABC.xlsx" as examples.

amerchant
5 - Atom

@echuong1  I am using the flow attached to get the latest file but it is not picking up the file and giving this error. Do you know what I am doing wrong here?

amerchant_1-1653569169287.png

amerchant_0-1653569120139.png

allanxu23
5 - Atom

I think you have the select the file first. Then go back and change the name of the file with the wildcard.

Labels