community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Dynamic field name in multi-field tool

Asteroid

I want to be able to use this kind of logic in the multi-field tool: Expression of [_CurrentField_]-['SOURCE_2_'+[_CurrentFieldName_]]

I am comparing values for a single field from two data sources. After joining the two data sources, I want to be able to use a multi-field tool to iterate over all Source_1 columns needing the comparison to Source_2 expression above. This is WAY easier than writing hundreds of

Source_1_Sales - Source_2_Sales

Source_2_Orders - Source_2_Orders

In the formula tool.

I know you can get this done w/ transpose-summarize, I just feel like this shouldn't be that hard to do with a multi-field tool.

I've attached a mock up.

Thanks!

Highlighted
Alteryx Certified Partner
Alteryx Certified Partner

I think you've come to the answer yourself.

It's not possible with the multi-field formula tool, so yes I would advise transposing. 

You could create a batch macro with a multi-field formula tool, but again, that doesn't solve the 'it should be simpler' problem!

Ben

Meteoroid

Hi @BenMoss and @dmccandless,

Could you please share the alternative solution - how would you transpose/summarize this? I was also hoping to use the Multi-field tool for this issue, but reading your thread, I understand that's not possible. The only alternative I thought of is using the standard formula tool. I hadn't thought to transpose/summarize and I am curious how you guys would use transpose/summarize.

Thanks in advance. 

Asteroid

I didn't pursue the transpose-summarize solution, sorry.

Labels