Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic extraction of unique elements from a column for UI option

arx
6 - Meteoroid

I am trying to  extract dynamically unique elements from a column in a dataset for passing it as elements in list box.  I used the following workflow to do that:

Fruits1.PNG

The UI window is

Fruits2.PNG

The app works fine as long as the initial data is the same.  As soon as I change the data, it has to first run though Run Work flow

runworkflow.PNG

Suppose if I give the app to a third party who have another dataset (with the same format), then it will not dynamically load if it is not first run with "Run Work flow".  We can't expect all the clients to have the Alteryx workflow license.  How do I make it more dynamic so that unique values populate to the UI even by running the "Run as Analytic App".

Attached is the workflow.

3 REPLIES 3
danielbrun2
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi,

Creating this dynamically is from my experience not possible, however except if the client has a Alteryx server, it will not solve you problem.

You will need a Alteryx Designer license to run analytical apps as well. Are your clients using a server?

Best regards,

Daniel

arx
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for the reply.  Our aim is to create the app base structure and depending on the specific need for a particular client, we customize it.  As of now,, the current client doesn't have the Alteryx license.  If I understand from your comment, developing an Alteryx app requires two licenses (both for the developer and the client) with 2x the cost.

I am a bit surprised as I was developing the app based on another app developed in shiny (R) and it is much more dynamic and cost $0.  I understand that there are other functionalities in alteryx (which I am not using currently for the app developed).  Is there anything in the pipeline that will rectify this?

danielbrun2
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi Arx,

In order to run an analytic app you need to have Alteryx Designer installed except if the client have an Alteryx server. Everyone that needs to run Alteryx workflows need to have a license.

Alteryx is different from shiny (R) since it is a selfservice analytics platform, and not directly a platform for developing apps (such as shiny (R) or other programming languages for that matter). I hope this makes sense. If you need further assistance I will gladly make a Google Hangout, and explain further.

Best regards,

Daniel

Labels