Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic concatenation of fields

bharathjnair
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

I have an app that lets a user select a list of columns from the data, which will be shown as output.

Suppose there is 10 columns and user selects 3 (A,B,C) from them. Is it possible to create a formula which will concatenate the 3 fields as ABC?

In case someone selects A,B,C and D, the concatenation field should have ABCD values. All fields are strings.

In short-How can i create a concatenation field that will dynamically concatenate the user selected fields?

Thanks,

Bharath

4 REPLIES 4
JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

I've created a simple macro that will do this inline; hopefully it should be straigthforward for you to pursue the same concept in your Analytic App. Basically, I have a List Box of checkboxes attached to the Macro Input, which generates a custom list of ToString([f1])+ToString([f2]) for whatever fields are checked.  My action then replaces the expression in a Formula Tool with exactly that custom list.

Hope that helps!

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Try the following:

• Add a record ID
  • Use a Transpose tool to rotate from columns to row based
  • You can then use a summarize to concatenate
  • Finally join back on record ID to get the result

Simple sample attached.

bharathjnair
6 - Meteoroid