Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Dynamic app or macro to allow user to input variables for each row

anayet1988
8 - Asteroid

Hi Everyone,

I want to create an app or a macro to allow the user to assign variable to certain rows.

So the input is a list of amounts however - this is not fixed list and can change.

The user need to be able to decide:

- which row has a split

- what is the qtr+year for each row

- what are the rows are not included at all.

I have added a video that would explain the problem better

https://youtu.be/_es3uabvwjg

5 REPLIES 5
gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

Hi @anayet1988, great job on the video. Will the split always be in two or could it be like 4 splits for a single row? Also, the year and quarter, will the user insert those values manually after selecting the split? I can saw that this is possible, you will need a chained application. 

anayet1988
8 - Asteroid

@gabrielvilella 

Thank you so much for your quick response:

- If the split can be dynamic so it lets the user split a single row into 2,3 or 4 etc then that would be better. However, if that solution is too complex, we can start off by making a solution with fixed with either 2 rows or leave it at 1 row.

- In the regards to the Qtr+Year - this is manually input by the user. It would be after the split, so each split would have it's unique Qtr+Year.

I hope that makes sense.

Do you know how you'd create a chained application?

Thanks so much for your help

gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

Yeah, it is possible, but I must add that that won't be pretty. The regular interface tools won't give us much flexibility on how to display those values. There is a more complex way but using the SDK and HTML, but I don't think you want that. To understand more about chained apps you can check this. I might be able to build an example for you if I have some extra time. 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/Chaining-Analytic-Apps/ta-p/243120

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4NhAwUPpW0 

In this Data in the Wild episode, you'll learn how to use chained apps Alteryx Designer when developing analytics applications. We'll teach you how to transform your manual processes into a more automated and sophisticated workflow. If you have any questions or suggestions for a future video ...
anayet1988
8 - Asteroid

@gabrielvilella 

The issue I have right now with apps is that it the split and the Year+Qtr can only be defined once.

I want a way that will prompt the user to go through the rows ask do you want this row split, if yes how would you like it split and what's the Year+Qtr. Once the user has defined for one row, go onto the next row. etc

If you have time - I would greatly appreciate it if you can create a small example based on the data i've provided.

Thank you

gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

So, I started developing here and I ran into an issue that the interface to present the user which values the user selected to insert the splits is not great, the only way would be a list box. I don't believe that is a good solution. Unfortunately, I will have to say that it is not possible to accomplish what you want using the regular interface tools. A solution for this would be having the user fill out a Excel sheet before with all the required information. 

Labels