Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic Textbox default values

mutuelinvestor
8 - Asteroid

With Interface Design, is it possible to dynamically set Textbox defaults using values from a workflow.   I have tried inputing workflow field names in brackets but do not get the desired result.  

For example, I entered [LastName] as the default value in hopes of getting actual lat names from the particular workflow, but unfortunately, I'm getting [LastName] (literally)

Thanks in advance for your input. 

4 REPLIES 4
Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi,

To dynamicaly change values of Interface Design Tools, you should look at a white filled Q on top (if using Horizontal layout) of the Interface Tool. Not all of them allows you to do that.

mutuelinvestor
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the response.  It looks like the Textbox tool only has the white filled Q at the bottom.    Perhaps I can use a list box instead of a textbox. 

Thanks again. 

Jim

mutuelinvestor
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the response.  I believe the textbox only has a white-filled Q on its bottom, so I may have to use a listbox instead of a textbox.  Not ideal, but I guess I can make it work.

Thanks,

Jim

KaneG
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @mutuelinvestor

The way to think about the dynamic population of interface tools is that they are populated with the metadata, not the data, unless a reference file is provided. (Caveat: As @Aguisande alluded to, you can attach to the q on the input tool. This will bring in the dynamic metadata, rather than the metadata of the input template).  The interface tools are populated before the app is run and the data is analysed and so you will only be able to dynamically use field names, types etc to populate the interface tools.

There is some macros out there that save the results of a process and use that to populate the fields next time. For an example, look at the Publish to Tableau Server tool, whereby you can refresh the project name list.

Kane

Labels