Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic Rename

dbyfield
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I have a dataset that comes with column headings with a numerical prefix (1. , 2.  3. etc). 

What I need to is remove the number, full stop, and the space after the full stop from the field name across all headings.

I believe the Dynamic Rename tool would be the best thing to use but I'm unclear on the best way to achieve this, either through Rename Mode: Formula, or Remove Prefix/Suffix.

Any help / guidance that can be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

2 REPLIES 2
GavinAttard
11 - Bolide

Hi

Yes that would be the way to go about this. 

Firstly, don't be afraid to just try stuff, it's the best way of learning and as long as you are not overwriting any source files then it's a pretty harmless... 

You will also find there is normally more than one way to get things done. 

Given that the prefix is not uniform you ill need to go down the formula route, using a regex replace with a pattern like this; '^\d{1,2}\.\s'

Hope that helps. 

Gavin

Alteryx Everything, Leave no one behind.
dbyfield
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

Thanks for the solution, that worked perfectly. WAsn't familiar with the syntax for regex so your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Labels