Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic Rename / Select / Formula Tool Annoyance - Fields not being found

jpl5253
7 - Meteor

First of all, this is a convenience issue. My workflow is functioning correctly and giving me the correct output. However, there is one minor wrinkle. So I have a workflow which uses Dynamic Rename to take field names from the first row of data. There are about 200 fields in this file, so this is a massive time saver.

When the workflow is not running, one of my downstream Select tools keeps "remembering" the old field names (F1, F2 etc....) instead of the field names from the Dynamic Rename tool, and as such, I keep getting an error on the next Formula tool, as it says it can't find the variable named by the Dynamic Rename.

As I said, once the workflow runs, the error disappears and it runs thru these tools without issue. However, later on, it will "remember" these old field names and forget the Dynamic Renamed fields. I have "Forgotten Missing Fields" in the Select tool several times, but the old fields seem to keep popping up.

Any thoughts? I would share the workflow, but this is a confidential workflow unfortunately. Also, please forgive any lapses in Alteryx Community best practice, this is my first post in this community.

4 REPLIES 4
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @jpl5253,

As far as I know, the dynamic rename is one of the few tools which doesnt update the metadata info unless you run the workflow. There is no way around this. You may come up with a solution to it using many different tools together but I think you will need to stick to it.

Sorry to tell you so but thats the only way.

Edit: Btw there is no need to share your actual workflow. You can create a simple text input with a dynamic rename and the same would happen.

Regards

jpl5253
7 - Meteor

Thanks for the quick reply. As I said, workflow still runs fine but good to know its an inherent issue with the tool and not with my use of it.

Cheers

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@jpl5253 ,

Please don't give up hope!  Here's a trick that you can use:  If the incoming data is persistent with the field names, you can configure the stream as it is and follow the rename with a select tool. Within the select tool configuration you can save the configuration. Then you could delete the dynamic rename. 

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
jpl5253
7 - Meteor
Unfortunately, the data is input from a complex Macro tool and editing the
Macro to accommodate this would be too time consuming for such a
surface-level issue. I appreciate the positivity however!

The information transmitted, including any attachments, is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited, and all liability arising therefrom is disclaimed. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer. PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP is a Delaware limited liability partnership. This communication may come from PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP or one of its subsidiaries.
Labels