Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Dynamic Rename Error

sgaryali
8 - Asteroid

Hi
Before using dynamic rename my first column is - Annual Leave/ Time-Off- Paid in (column -F7)

But after using dynamic rename i unchecked the column number F7 so name of the column was same only but first row got removed.

Now first row is - Annual Leave/ Time-Off (Half day)- (Paid in column F7)

1 .

sgaryali_0-1632293906481.png

sgaryali_1-1632293951444.png

Can anyone help with this why this happening?

6 REPLIES 6
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @sgaryali 

When you configure the dynamic rename tool to take field name from first row the first row will be taken in as header hence it will not be present in the data.

sgaryali
8 - Asteroid

Hi @atcodedog05 ,

Thank you for your reply.

Even if we keep that particular column unchecked.

sgaryali_0-1632296008480.png

what is the solution for this how can we get that row ?

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @sgaryali 

Can you provide some sample input and expected output it will help us get a better understanding of the usecase.

kmedici
8 - Asteroid

Hi @sgaryali 

That's expected behaviour of the tool. Your first row of data that contains column headers i.e. Type, Comments is being used to rename the column headings, as you've shown above on the dynamic rename configuration tool. And, as correctly configured, F7 is not being renamed per you deselecting it. 

What's happening is the row where your column names exist also seems to contain data too - which shouldn't be the case. So, when you're renaming some of the columns based on the first row of data Alteryx is taking the entire row and renaming the columns you've specified, the ones you haven't specified are just removed - which explains why 'Annual Leave/ Time-Off (Half day)' has shifted from row 2 to row 1. 

My suggestion would be to try and rename your columns a different way. Possibly through creating a separate stream and cross tabbing your data to obtain the column names that way, and filtering out the values you don't want as column headers. Then you can use the dynamic rename tool with 'Take field names from right input rows'. 

sgaryali
8 - Asteroid

Hi @atcodedog05 

Here is the sample input file.

I want row no 2 as the header except for column F7.

In column F7 row 2 data is present we can keep it as F7 or Legends.

Can you help with this?

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @sgaryali 

Here is how you can do it. Make sure you configure the union as highlighted below.

Workflow:

atcodedog05_0-1632300400121.png

Hope this helps : )

Labels