Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic Multiple Joins / Macro input the output

ahmedalra
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I have a list of variable subjects, and each subject has a list of inputs. Also, I have a summary which consists of some texts and the variable subjects. I need to Join the summary with the first variable subject and replace that variable from the summary with the list of variable inputs. The output of that, needs to be matched with the next variable subject and repeat the same steps. Repeat the process for each variable subject. Attached an example.

The problem is that in the real data I won't have the same number of variable subjects and inputs. In the attached example, there are only three variables, so we had to do the process three times only. In reality however, the number would be different each time, and there is no limit for number of variables. Sometimes it is 27 variable in one run, so I would have to do the process 27 time! Therefore, I need a more dynamic way of doing the process to end up with each input from each variable subject matched with each input from all the other variable subjects, and then replace the variables from the summary with the inputs.

I tried to do it using cross tap and text to column, but it still was not dynamic. I also tried building a macro, but the way I designed the macro requires you to have the macro output (which has the summary text matched and replaced with the variables) as an input of the macro itself to match and replace the next variable subject. Is there a way of doing such a macro, where the output of one iteration is the input of the next iteration? Also, If you have a simpler way of doing the same process whether it requires a macro or not, please let me know. Any help would be highly appreciated. 

3 REPLIES 3
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @ahmedalra ,

The answer is in your last sentence. Hence Alteryx does have iteration macro which will take output as input and run the condition is met.

Here is a resource where you can learn more about it.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Videos/Advanced-Certification-Prep-Part-II/td-p/351833

I will definitely help you with solving this one. But i would really suggest you to take a look at it so that you get an understanding.

Cheers and Happy Analyzing 🙂

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @ahmedalra ,

I was able to accomplish the requirement by the below workflow coupling it with a batch macro.

atcodedog05_0-1587280512297.png

Iterative macro. Using your same working workflow.

atcodedog05_3-1587280684596.png

You can configure an iterative macro by changing workflow configuration to below.

atcodedog05_4-1587280787248.png

And setting iteration input and output in interface designer window, properties pane as 

atcodedog05_5-1587280872185.png

The workflow and iterative macro is attached in the reply.

I hope this helps your purpose. If there is still anything specific you are looking for please reply back.

If it solves your case study please like the reply and mark the reply as accept solution.

PS: really appreciate that you were able to provide the file or else it would have been harder to provide solution.

Thank you for sharing this scenario. It was a great exposure.

Cheers and Happy Analyzing : )

ahmedalra
7 - Meteor

@atcodedog05 Thanks a lot. That's exactly what I was looking for. 

Labels