Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic List Box based on field names from datasets - Macro Tool

Streetypie
5 - Atom

Hi Everyone,

I would like to create a listbox that allows a user to select which columns they would like a multifield formula tool to apply to.

I have been able to do this successfully, however as the next step, I am hoping to make this listbox dynamic, so that it will take the field names from an input data set (or tool connection), rather than from the macro templated input. 

Example would be having a file input with the fields 1, 2 and 3, and have these appear in the macro as the list box selections.

Then, in a separate workflow, I would connect a different data set to the macro which might have the fields 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8, and for the list box to update itself to have these fields as the selection options.

I'm pretty sure this can be done within an analytic app, but this needs to be a macro and I'm wondering if this can be done.

Any help would be most appreciated - thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Streetypie 
Is this what you need?

Qiu_0-1614227928356.png

Streetypie
5 - Atom

Hi Qiu,

Unfortunately not, but thank you for that

I have this (as found on the community board)

Chris12_0-1614228349809.png

But the macro input tool requires data to be fed into it, either your own text input or a file input

I'm wondering if this file input can be dynamically set to the current file(s) in use within the work flow

so if i had workbook-1.xlsx, then it would use the field names from workbook 1 without the user having to do anything

if i had workbook-2.xlsx, then it would use the field names form workbook 2 without the user having to do anything

Streetypie
5 - Atom

Hey Everyone,

stumbled across the answer myself after just messing about

turns out, you need to connect the Q anchor, not the output anchor, of the intput macro like so

Chris12_0-1614230440834.png

hope this can help others in a similar situation

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi!  @Streetypie 

As a leader in the Alteryx Community, I have the ability to identify & mark accepted solutions on behalf of community members - and recently did so on this thread. If you have any questions or concerns with the solution(s) I selected please let me know by replying to this post.

Good job finding the solution.  Interface tools are tricky.  BTW...In case where you've done the work to discover the solution yourself, it's acceptable to mark your own response as the solution.    

Learn more about Accepted Solutions here.

Thank you!

Dan

Labels