Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic Interface for users - advanced query

awojciechowski
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I'm back to you with very good and advanced query - I need your help and advice or maybe ready solution.

I want build app for users which will be include a few workflow.

Step 1:

I want build screen which look like this to choose ClientID from the list and with two radio button to choose how should look next screen.

1.JPG

Step 2:

This step is depend of what we choose in earlier screen and after we click Finish.

Step 2 point a)

If we chosen ClientID and "Last query" I want to see this screen below but with fields filled with the last entered and saved information/parameters.2..JPG2.1.JPG2.2.JPG

Step 2 point b)

If we chosen ClientID and "New query" I want to see this screen below but with empty fields but if we click Saved this should save new file for this ClientID (and removed previous).

3..JPG3.1.JPG3.2.JPG

I will be very thankful for help.

My workflow in attachment. 

I want saved last parameters per client in folders e.g. for a desktop - it doesn't matter now where it will be in final version.

if you need more information please ask me.

2 REPLIES 2
MichaelF
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @awojciechowski,

There isn't an optimal solution to do what you want. However, there is a possible method that you may want to follow. Basically, it involves chained apps and changing the xml code of one of them. Attached is a simple process of where xmltest1 will update the xml code of xmltest2, which specifically points to the Text Box Interface Tool, changing its Default Value. 

This is the process of how it should work.

1) You create xmltest2, which will placing a Default Value in the Text Box Tool (This will be similar to your actual main app)

2) You create xmltest1. This has an Input Tool that brings in xmltest2 that reads in the code as an xml file. You use the Formula Tool to replace your default value with something else (here you can have previous values that you can dynamically update). In this example we replace "1" with "4" (coded as  '<Default>1</Default>', '<Default>4</Default>'). Then you output this to the same app file, xmltest2.yxwz in a Flat File format. 

3) You need to ensure that in the Interface Designer of xmltest1 that you have xmltest2 to be run after.

So in short, you are changing the code of the app, and then running it again with these new values. Now it is important to note that not all the Interface Tools will have this Default Value feature (Tree Tool is one of them), so you may have to re-structure your app for Tools that have this feature. Additionally, I hardcoded the new values in, you will probably want to save your selections and bring them in later in the second app so that it can be dynamically run, instead of manually placed. You may also need to create Detours depending on which selection they choose from the first app (new or old query). 

It may be a bit complicated, but this is the general idea behind it. Hope it helps.

Cheers,

Mike

Joe_Mako
12 - Quasar

Sounds like a Chained App is what you are looking for: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/Chained-Alteryx-Analytic-Applications/ta-p/7...

Attached are some examples.

Labels