Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic Input

Qiaoping
6 - Meteoroid

I have around 20 excel files, they have the same format and 5 tabs for each file, I need to combine one of the 5 tabs of the 20 excel files. Normally, we put each file as input and then use UNION tool. Today I watched a video introducing DIRECTORY and DYNAMIC INPUT. so I was trying to simplify the input process. While, I followed the video's step, but it always gives me an error message when I run the workflow, "document name.xlsx does not match a sheet or named range in document name.xlsx or the excel file is corrupt.

Could someone help me with this question? I don't know whether my idea is feasible. If not, does someone has a solution on how to input multiple same formated files more efficience? Thanks, 

Ping 

8 REPLIES 8
benakesh
12 - Quasar
JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

I think that error appears when you aren't sending the sheet name through to the Dynamic input tool.

Could you upload the workflow that you have configured?

Qiaoping
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you, but it is still not working. Anyway, I am new to Alteryx, there will be a lot to learn. 

Qiaoping
6 - Meteoroid

Sorry, don't know why I couldn't copy and paste workflow here. 

SO when I selected Dynamic Input, on the edit box, I input the example file(one from where I saved all the formatted files, again, all the files have the same multiple tabs and only one tab, sheets 1 (same format and fields in all files) I need to combine.

on the Read a List of Data Sources/Field: [FullPath]+"|||sheets1$"

Now error message is: createrecord: a record was created with no fields."

I have no idea. 

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

To upload you need to use the little paperclip button near the bottom right of where you type your reply.

It sounds like you have the data set up right. 

What's the settings you have in the dynamic input tool? 

That error suggests there is no data on that sheet, is there definitely data on that workbook in Sheet1?

Qiaoping
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Joe,

thank you for your help. I uploaded a word doc that I have saved screen shot from my workflow.

Our old workflow used all the same files but input one by one, that work well.

I just want to simply the process. I am new to Alteryx, so probably need more help than others.

JessieC
Alteryx
Alteryx

@Qiaoping ,

You should update FullPath with a formula tool to include the sheet name and select the column FullPath as the Field to Change Entire File Path - 

Qiaoping
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Jessie,

Sorry for replying sooooooo late. it's still not working. It only reads one file. I will do more research when I am not that busy.

Thank you for your help.

Labels