Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic Input with a schema

LincolnMike
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I have several TXT files (which I will save as CSV) with 5 identical fields and length.   The fields are not delimited,  but I know the field length for each: 17, 4, 1 ,3 , 2.  Fields are VIN, MY, Status, Country, Group.

I thought I could read them using a Directory Tool and an Dynamic Input Data Source Template, but I can't see where I could insert my field names and field length.  In MS access I could do this with a Specification file.

Any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4
JohnR
7 - Meteor

Choose File Format to be Flat ASCII file (*.flat)

It will prompt you for field widths

LincolnMike
8 - Asteroid

Thanks John.  It did get me a bit further, but in reality I have 38 field names that vary from 1 to 254 in field length.  Is there a way to use a file specification and import?

I read the help and I thought I had the spec data correct, but I get an error  Data at Root Level is invalid.

My spec file for example is saved as file type ".asc" and the here is a list of the first 9 rows in the spec file:

vin,17
my,4
b,1
veh,30
RspDlrStatus,1
DlrGEO,3
Seg0,2
VG0,2
VG0x,254

JohnR
7 - Meteor

The specification file should look like this, it should be saved as a *.flat

<flatfile version="1">
<file
path="yourpath\yourfilename.asc"
eoltype="crlf"
/>
<fields>
<field name="my" type="V_String" length="4"/>
<field name="b" type="V_String" length="1"/>
<field name="VG0" type="V_String" length="254"/>
</fields>
</flatfile>

If you can create a file in Alteryx with the same fields and formats as your target you can save it a s a flat file and it will create the specification file for you

LincolnMike
8 - Asteroid

Hi John,

sorry for late response...I've been away for a while.

Your solution worked perfect for my needs.

Labels