Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic Input with Temporary File (Download Tool)

joyyang
5 - Atom

I'm completely new to Alteryx, so I apologize for the possibly very basic question.

I was able to get a workflow to work when I selected "Filename from a Field" under output in the Download Tool, but now I'd like to try using a temporary file instead.

I've been more-or-less copying others' workflows until now, so quite frankly I lack a lot of basic understanding and don't know what I should be changing to get things to work.

joyyang_1-1657734293446.png

3 REPLIES 3
PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

If it's an xlsx file you're downloading to a temporary path, you still need to specify a sheet name just like you have in your Formula Tool. Just add that Formula Tool before your erroring Dynamic Input Tool.     ... I think.

ericsundby
Alteryx
Alteryx

It shouldn't make a difference if it's a temp file, or not. The path is the only difference. Can you post your workflow so I can see the details of both?

joyyang
5 - Atom

Thanks, it seems keeping everything the same and just selecting "Temporary File" works.

However I've now run into a different problem. When there was only one data source, there was no issue running the workflow. But my end goal is to download and combine multiple excel files, and when I wasn't using temporary files, it ran fine - for context, I copy & pasted the first flow and only altered the URL for the other sources. When I changed all of the downloads to "temporary file" (with no other changes), only one workflow is successful. The others all receive the error in the attached screenshot. 

Unfortunately it's very difficult for me to upload files since I use Alteryx on my work laptop and I'm not sure if I'd be granted permission (I am able to work around this though with images if I screenshot and simply copy + paste). If it becomes difficult to answer without the file, I'll see what I can do.

joyyang_0-1657813817205.png

Labels