Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Alteryx is here to help you solve your biggest data challenges. Read about the new Virtual Solution Center here.

Dynamic Input tool not using specified template

Highlighted
Alteryx Partner

Hi,

I am new to Alteryx and was going through the Dynamic Input tool. It says that I can specify a template to read the data.

To test out the tool I created an xlsx file with 4 different sheets, "Sheet1" and "Sheet2" with 3 columns and the "Sheet3" and "Sheet4" with 2 columns. In the Dynamic Input tool I select this xlsx file as "Input Data Source Template" and then I am select the sheet name as "Sheet3".

However, the dynamic tool just picks "Sheet1" through there alphabetical order and the data read are the ones with 3 columns.

What I wanted to know was that do I need to change the sheet I need as template to be the first sheet or am I making some other mistake?

I have attached screenshots

Sheet1Sheet1Selecting sheet in dynamic toolSelecting sheet in dynamic toollog result on runlog result on runSheet4Sheet4

Highlighted
Alteryx Certified Partner

Think of each sheet in the file as a separate input template. If you have 4 sheets you want to use as templates for each Excel file, then you could take the input file path and use a Dynamic Input tool for each sheet template (4).

This may not make sense in this scenarios, but think of the Dynamic Input tool in context of other files that don't have multiple field layouts. 

Highlighted

Hi,

Following is a suggestion to analyze numerous sheets with two type of column quantity.

attached workflow

Highlighted
Alteryx Partner

In your workflow the sheets read in the first DI tool are removed in join tool and then passed on to the second DI tool.

What I want is that to read the sheets read in second DI tool to be read in the first DI tool and only those sheets.

I have attached a xlsx file and a workflow. In this I want to read sheets with template similar to 'Sheet3' (i.e. sheets with 2 columns), but what does is it reads sheet1 first takes its schema and then proceeds.

I also noticed the order I specify of the sheet names is not taken rather the alphabetical order is.

Highlighted

Hi @Dharmvir 

The way you are setting the DI is impossible. My setup suggestion I thought would help.
I tweaked your workflow spreadsheet and made 2 examples.
I hope someone gets a solution the way you want

Attached Workflow

Cheers

[]

Labels