Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic Input of multiple files for specific tab

AnastasiaG
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

I am trying to combine information from same tab from multiple excel files. In my example, I need Alteryx to find "Analysis" tab in each excel file saved in a given directory and append information vertically. I am using directory tool and dynamic input tool. However, my output takes only one file from the directory. Why other file is not being picked up?

Here is my flow.

Thank you so much,

Anastasia

9 REPLIES 9
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @AnastasiaG ,

both files need to have the same amount of columns, named the same way and having the same data type, otherwise, those who do not share the same schema will be skipped. By the way in your case the first file has 30 columns and the second 40 and some columns don't have the same data type.

Regards

randreag
11 - Bolide

hi @AnastasiaG 

the problem is the differences between columns

Please download this macro and connect it after your formula. It would read both files

I hope it helps

AnastasiaG
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you for your reply. How can you tell that they do not have the same schema? They both have the same column names and all columns end on AM. 

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @randreag , I've built tools for this exact purpose.

I've attached the example workflow along with the tools.

The first tool pulls in the Sheet names, you then append those to the filename. Then the second tool dynamically loads in all files regardless of schema.

Hope this helps.

M.

Bulien

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @AnastasiaG ,

With the field info tool and using a join tool with the "join by record position" check enabled you would be able to see the data type from each field as well as the names.

Regards

AnastasiaG
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you

AnastasiaG
6 - Meteoroid

Macro worked and 2 files appeared, but at dynamic input step, I got error message that record was created with no fields. 

AnastasiaG_0-1614794540472.png

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @AnastasiaG ,

I've attached the workflow and the macros that allow you to do this dynamically. Can you let me know why this doesn't work?

mceleavey_0-1614796084805.png

Thanks,

M.

Bulien

AnastasiaG
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @mceleavey 

I am trying to understand your solution, that is why it is taking some time for me to reply. Unfortunately, it did not work. When I imported, first I got error message that your Alteryx has higher version and some tools might not work:

AnastasiaG_0-1614800998884.png

I clicked on yes and got this:

AnastasiaG_1-1614801024512.png

I assume that the first question mark relates to Import Multiple Schema files and the second one relates to Dynamic Multi File Macro. When i tried to update them with my directory and 2 excel files, nothing worked.

AnastasiaG_2-1614804629685.png

Labels