Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic Input appends file extension to file name and errors

P_5000
5 - Atom

I have a directory input feeding a dynamic input tool. The directory contains only the xml files for processing.

Dynamic Input tool config as follows:

- Input Data Source Template value is one of the xml files

- Radio button 'Read a List of Data Sources' is selected

-Field: FileName

-Action:Change File/Table Name

When the process runs the Dynamic Input tool throws an error: File not found "\\test\path\test_1.xml.xml". It appears to be appending .xml to the FileName then attempting to find that file, which of course it cannot.

Is this a bug or am I using the tool in the wrong context/config?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Could you set the Dynamic Input to "Change Entire File Path", and then the "Full Path" field from the Directory tool's fields?

P_5000
5 - Atom

Thanks, this worked. Before I read this I created a workaround -  a filter between the dir input and dynamic input tools to remove the extension from the filename, which also works

Kdpalmer
8 - Asteroid

Hi John -- This was very helpful for me as well.  Can you advise what exactly the designer is thinking when you have "change file/table name" selected?  I tried to use a wildcard * for mine to use a .csv as a template in my dynamic input and it re-appended the full name of the file.  It only worked when I selected change entire file path.

JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Hi @Kdpalmer,

I think, perhaps, that field has been useful for people processing tabs in a spreadsheet, and/or files of all the same type in a single directory, that has been useful. For me - coming from a programming background, I always want to specify as much detail as possible anyway, eliminating as much assumption as possible, so I always used the full path replacement from day one.

Hope that helps,

John

Labels