Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic Input and excel - what am I doing wrong?

FDJ
6 - Meteoroid

Hi, I am a beginner to Alteryx. Can someone help identify what is wrong with my workflow? 

Background:

Two excel files within the same directory, same tab name, same schema.

Goal:

Explore usage of directory tool to combine the data of both files

Problem:

Only a single file gets imported into the "Browse" tool. I was expecting both of them to appear.

Workflow:

1. Dir tool, filtering by "*.xl*"
  2. Formula, where I specify name of sheet "Report Tab"
  3. Dynamic Input: 
    1. If I give the template of file A, the output browser shows the content of this file
    2. If I give the template of file B, output browser shows content of this file
    3. I want the output browser to show the content of both files (not each individually)

FDJ_0-1594925775594.png

FDJ_0-1594926017715.png

FDJ_1-1594926034426.png

6 REPLIES 6
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @FDJ I mocked up a workflow that showcases how to get the dynamic input to bring in multiple files. Let me know what you think?

Dynamic_Filepath_16072020.JPG

markcurry
12 - Quasar

Hi @FDJ 

With your formula tool, try appending the Sheet name to the [FullPath] field with the formula..

[FullPath] + "|||`Results$`"

This will create something like C:\Temp\File1.xlxs|||`Results$`  which you need for Excel files.

And then in your Dynamic Input tool use the [FullPath] field.

Hope that helps.

FDJ
6 - Meteoroid

Hi, this doesn't work as it tries to find a sheet name with the full path (and will not find one). It throws an error.

FDJ
6 - Meteoroid

This solution works well, I noticed you changed the "Dynamic Input" Action parameter from "Change File/Table Name" to "Change Entire File Path". 

FDJ_0-1594928364480.png

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @FDJ you need to feed into the dynamic input tool the file names and sheets so that it reads in the two excel files. I amended my workflow so that it will dynamically pick up the sheet names and append it to the file name and then feed that into the dynamic input.

srikant96
9 - Comet

[fullpath] + "|||`<worksheet> $`"

space important followed by worksheet and $ at the end  ( enclosed within singles quotes ). III important ( 3 pipes ) 

Labels