Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic Input Truncating My Precious Data!

brianscott
11 - Bolide

Hey everyone - 

Got me some big old nasty files from dynamic input and the data is such that I really need to transpose it.  But when I do, it comes out of the tool as a string 254 and I lose characters sometimes and this fills me with a terrible sadness.  How can I triumph over this senseless loss of data?

brian

Edit:  I had some sloppy json files and used dynamic input to grab 'em.  Json input wouldn't work because Alteryx complained about structure, so I went with importing with .CSV and using a \0 as a delimiter as suggested on the internet.  Did not error out, but did have a soft failure ala truncating my precious json string.  So, instead of importing as .csv, I imported as ASCII flat file, set my line definition to be one big fat line 2500 characters long, checked the 'allow long lines' checkbox and let fly.  It works. 

2 REPLIES 2
Storm
9 - Comet

I don't have a ton of workflows using transpose tool; but I tested just now, with a string from input text tool.  String in input was 370 characters of gobbledegook; and coming out the transpose tool it was all still there.  Are you sure your truncation isn't happening elsewhere?

brianscott
11 - Bolide

You are right!  (will try to modify title).

But now, the dynamic input tool is the character thief!  I'll kick the tires there for a while before asking for more help. 

Thanks.

brian

Labels