Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic Input Truncating My Precious Data!

brianscott
11 - Bolide

Hey everyone - 

Got me some big old nasty files from dynamic input and the data is such that I really need to transpose it.  But when I do, it comes out of the tool as a string 254 and I lose characters sometimes and this fills me with a terrible sadness.  How can I triumph over this senseless loss of data?

brian

Edit:  I had some sloppy json files and used dynamic input to grab 'em.  Json input wouldn't work because Alteryx complained about structure, so I went with importing with .CSV and using a \0 as a delimiter as suggested on the internet.  Did not error out, but did have a soft failure ala truncating my precious json string.  So, instead of importing as .csv, I imported as ASCII flat file, set my line definition to be one big fat line 2500 characters long, checked the 'allow long lines' checkbox and let fly.  It works. 

2 REPLIES 2
Storm
9 - Comet

I don't have a ton of workflows using transpose tool; but I tested just now, with a string from input text tool.  String in input was 370 characters of gobbledegook; and coming out the transpose tool it was all still there.  Are you sure your truncation isn't happening elsewhere?

brianscott
11 - Bolide

You are right!  (will try to modify title).

But now, the dynamic input tool is the character thief!  I'll kick the tires there for a while before asking for more help. 

Thanks.

brian

Labels