Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic Input Tool returning list of field names from incorrect sheet

sonseeahray
8 - Asteroid

I'm running an unchanged workflow that has run for 3 months successfully to read in multiple Excel files from a directory. The workflow had been modified from the solution to this post Read multiple Excel files with different sheet names.

Each of the files contains 2 tabs. The Dynamic Input tool is configured to look at the 2nd tab in the first file in the folder, but with this month's files it is reading in the fields from the first tab.

I don't understand the Dynamic Input tool enough to understand what is going wrong. The files are in the exact same format as the previous month's. I am running two separate workflows, one formatted for last month's files and another for this month's files, but this month's files are failing.

Capture.PNG

Below is the comparison of the fields returned by the 2nd Dynamic Input Tool for both workflows. There should be 23 fields names returned.

Working results returning the 23 field names from the 2nd tab:

Capture.PNG

Failing results returning 7 field names from the 1st tab:

Capture.PNG

5 REPLIES 5
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @sonseeahray 

Check the most recent file.  It could be that the sheet order has been changed within the excel File.  That would cause the workflow to read from the incorrect tab. 

Your workflow doesn't appear to have anything that sorts the sheet names alphabetically, so the dynamic workflow will read from the first sheet in the list.  In the attached workflow, I read the list of sheet names from 2 excel files with the same data on the same sheet names.  The difference between the the 2 excl files that one of them has the sheet names reversed.

r1.pngr2.png

Passing these lists of sheet name to a dynamic input will cause it to read the list of columns from sheet 1 in the original file and sheet 2 in the reversed order.

Dan

sonseeahray
8 - Asteroid

Thank you @danilang, I wondered how that worked because I didn't see anything in the Dynamic Input tool that would cause it to read in a sheet other than the one I had configured in it. I'll give it a try.

sonseeahray
8 - Asteroid

@danilang it downloaded...had to restart my computer

sonseeahray
8 - Asteroid

Hi @danilang, the sheet order is the same though...

Here is last  month's list of sheet names that the Dynamic Input tool is reading the 2nd sheet:

sonseeahray_0-1587920994474.png

Here is this month's list of sheet names where it is reading the 1st sheet:

sonseeahray_1-1587921057221.png

sonseeahray
8 - Asteroid

Got it to work by filtering out the sheets with "2722" prefix, since this is a constant in the sheet name. I still don't understand what caused the Dynamic Input tool to read the first sheet rather than the 2nd in the current month's files, especially since I had designated which sheet to read in.

Labels