Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic Input Tool (Inputting with CSV)

rneerhout01
7 - Meteor

I am trying to input a CSV file with the Dynamic input tool that has a file name format of Sev5 [mm-dd-yy].csv. This file is placed there everyday and do not wish to have to select the file by using the Input Data tool. Every time I run the workflow I get the error of too many fields in record #1

Workflow.JPG

Text Input is -- FilePath = C:\Users\rneerhout\Documents\Vulnerability Management\Weekly Sev Files\
Formula is -- FilePatch = [FilePath]+"Sev5 "+DateTimeFormat(DateTimeToday(),"%m-%d-%y")+".csv"
Dynamic Input is -- Input Source Template = C:\Users\rneerhout\Documents\Vulnerability Management\Weekly Sev Files\Sev5 9-18-17.csv (previously used csv file)
Modify SQL Query = [Text to Replace] C:\Users\rneerhout\Documents\Vulnerability Management\Weekly Sev Files\SEV5 9-18-17.csv
[Replacement Field] FilePath

I was wondering what I am doing wrong. If some one could help it would be great.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

That error suggests a malformed CSV file with extra columns in the first data line (assuming CSV has header then on line 2).

I get the same error if I try to read a file like:

A,B,C

The set up you have for the dynamic input looks correct.

tom_montpool
12 - Quasar

The error message is not telling you there's an issue with the dynamic input specifications, it is telling you there's a problem with the CSV file. If you were to open the file with a regular Input Data tool, you would/should get the same error.

I would check for an unquoted comma in the first row text as an initial check.

Also, you can use a simple wildcard in the regular Input Data tool instead of using Dynamic Input (e.g. C:\Users...\Sev5*.csv). This shouldn't change the error message you're getting below, but it is an alternative approach to your process where you don't have to worry about the date/time.

rneerhout01
7 - Meteor

@jdunkerley

The CSV file comes from Qualys.

From my understanding they use an lite version of the CSV formatting for their reports. I have had issues in the past.

The same file works fine through the Data Input tool, where you actually have to select the file.

Thanks

Rich

rneerhout01
7 - Meteor

@tom_montpool

The CSV file comes from Qualys.

From my understanding they use an lite version of the CSV formatting for their reports. I have had issues in the past.

The same file works fine through the Data Input tool, where you actually have to select the file.

Thanks

Rich

Labels