Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic Input Tool (Import Multiple Excel Files and only specific Sheets)

kgordish
8 - Asteroid

Hello,
Have some Alteryx experience, but still an acolyte.

Much to my chagrin I am struggling with the combination of the "directory tool" and "dynamic input". Searched forums. Learned how to import multiple files if in same directory (learned that), but I am trying to implement an import for hundreds of Excel files located in multiple folders. 

Overall actions so far:

Directory:

Specified a parent folder 
(Excel files of either xlsx or xlsm are present), Thus can not use wildcard for only one file type. 

Dynamic Input
Select a file in one of the folders and selected the "sales" sheet.

Browse:

Added Browse to end workflow

Getting an error.

Sheet Error.JPG

Can someone help point out where I am screwing up?

Thought this tool combo would be easier. If I figure out my error, then I can carry over into my functional model. 

Thank you for any assistance. 

Kevin 

12 REPLIES 12
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Sneha_Lonkar ,

try the attached workflow. I've attached the required macros as well.

Change the directory to be your parent folder and check the option to include sub-folders.

Make sure your naming convention of the file is consistent.

M.

Bulien

Sneha_Lonkar
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you for the prompt response. I tried but it seems i have Alteryx version difference due to which the attached workflows are not working. I have Alteryx Designer 2019.4 x64 version. Do you have anything handy which i can use?

I tried using my way and was able to get the sheet names but the final Dynamic input tool is giving me this error- " Dynamic Input (6) -The file "ABC.xlsx|||Sheet1" has a different number of fields than the 1st file in the set and will be skipped.

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Sneha_Lonkar ,

your Alteryx version is more than a year out of date, you will need to update it before you can use these tools.

However, if you DM me, I can set up a quick Teams call and I can walk you through how to build them on your version if you like.

M.

Bulien

Labels