Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic Input Error - Different Schema in the Dataset

cpituley
8 - Asteroid

Hi Alteryx Community, 

Is it possible to ignore this error seen below? I have almost 200 files I am bringing in and roughly 180 work successfully. I am unable to create an output though because there are issues with the schema of roughly 20 files. Ideally, I would be able to have the workflow ignore the 20 files that don't match and create the output anyway. 

Does anyone have suggestions or experience with this?

Desktop.PNG

Kind regards,
Cameron

6 REPLIES 6
cpituley
8 - Asteroid

I am really sorry for the double post ... I don't see how to delete the previous post . . . 

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Could you use a standard input tool with a wildcard input, you appear to want just *2018 files how is this specified? In the file name I guess? 

If if you can achieve the desired result using a wildcard in the standard input tools then you get warninings rather than errors which means the workflow will not stop running.

in order to use a standard input tool for such functionality, navigate to one of your 2018 files. You can then replace the dynamic part of the file name with*. Alteryx will then bring in all files that match this style, Only where the schema is identical to the first file read.

so convert c:\desktop\022018.csv to c:\desktop\*2018.csv

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

My solution for this is a batch macro with the properties set to union all the inputs based on name.  You stream all your directory paths to the macro instead of the dynamic input tool, and it just unions each and every input file from the directory paths.

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
cpituley
8 - Asteroid

Thank you mbarone for the idea and BenMoss for the link. This fixed my issue. I really appreciate the help on this! 

Looking forward to learning more from the Alteryx Community going forward. 

Best regards,

Cameron

cpituley
8 - Asteroid

The method BenMoss provided using wildcard with the standard input tool to generate warnings instead of errors also worked for my purpose.

Thank you again! 

Labels