Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic Formula Evaluation

CraigG
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the community and Alteryx. This is an awesome tool and community. I am not sure if this has been discussed before and my searches have come up empty, hence the post in the new ideas section. 

I am looking for a way of evaluating formulae that are contained in a database field, i.e. the formula needs to be applied at runtime, but not hardcoded, rather retrieved from a table and then applied to another field/s during the execution run.

Excited to hear any suggestions, support or feedback for this idea.

Kind Regards

Craig

3 REPLIES 3
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@CraigG,

Get ready for Awesome!  @AdamR_AYX is way ahead of you.  Within the CReW macros lives the "Dynamic Formula" tool.  I've written a blog post about it, extolling the virtues of it.  The tool asks you four (4) questions and will then compute not one, but many (no limit) new variables.  Essentially, if you feed it a list of variables to calculate it will read the library of formulas and create each desired new element.  The four questions are:

1. Output Field - Where in the list is the desired name of the new field?
  2. Type - Where in the list is the data type for the new field?
  3. Size - What is the size of the new field?
  4. Expression - What is the expression/formula to define the new field?

If the fields build upon each other, you will need to make sure that they are in the proper sequence.  This is a magical tool.

Cheers,

Mark 

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
CraigG
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Mark,

Awesome indeed! Thanks for pointing me to that macro. I will be testing it soon to see if this meets my requirement. 

Seems magical indeed :-)

Kind Regard

Craig

CraigG
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

I have actually managed to do my requirement using the existing Dynamic Replace tool with expressions. Works very well.

Kind Regards

Craig

Labels