Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic FolderInput

Pragya_Shree
5 - Atom

Hi Everyone, 

I have a scenario where I need to have the freedom to select any folder in which it contains the multiple files in each of them in a specific path but the folder selection is random(User Dependent).

Like:

The folder is created monthly and weekly basis at the specified path but the user needs the freedom to select any month's or week's folder and the multiple files within.

So I tried a combination of the Text box ( to take input of the week or month value from the user)with formula tool to create the path but I am still stuck in updating the month or week value in the formula on a random basis(we cant use DateMonthfunction).

2 REPLIES 2
Amarendra
10 - Fireball

Here are my assumptions,

1. You are dealing with excel files

2. They all have the same consistent schema

In theory, you can have all the files in a single directory, use a formula tool to consistently name your files (Jan_Week1) so it is easier for the user to search. Now you can convert this into an app and give your users either a drop-down or a textbox. You will have to account for all the user input errors and handle them in your original workflow.

In cases where your files have inconsistent schemas, you can normalize them using a batch macro.

PhilippK
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Pragya_Shree ,

do you already know the concept of an "Analytical App"?

Sounds like that is the solution for you:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/tkb-p/interactive-lessons/label-name/Creating%2...

Best regards

Phil

Labels