Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic Filter Macro

khana0530
5 - Atom

Hello,

I am trying to create a macro where a user can upload a file with the following fields (Field, operand, Operator, OutputBranch, OutputField)

and it will filter another file based on the data in the previous file. 

Essentially, I am trying to create a dynamic filter where a user can simply upload a file with the filter criteria in it. 

Is this possible in Alteryx?

I have uploaded a sample data file, and a sample filter file. The filter would also need to handle more complicated operators, such as contains and not equal to, and things like that.  

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
Claje
14 - Magnetar

Hi,

Depending on how well you can train users on syntax or control the file upload, the CReW macros have a really powerful Dynamic Formula tool.

You could essentially configure an input into this, and then add something eg: IF (Your user formula) Then 1 Else 0 ENDIF and then set up a filter with something like [FilterCriteria] = 1

If you still want more control than this, you could probably use the ideas in the Dynamic Formula tool to build a Filter tool to accomplish this

danrh
13 - Pulsar

Take a look at the attached and see if this gets you there.  The trickiest part was the operator.  I couldn't think of a good way to implement, so I ended up using a switch statement in a Formula tool and running through the possibilities.

Capture.PNG

Hope it gets you closer!

khana0530
5 - Atom

Thank you so much! That was super helpful and got me really close to what I needed!

Labels