Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic Filter Macro

khana0530
5 - Atom

Hello,

I am trying to create a macro where a user can upload a file with the following fields (Field, operand, Operator, OutputBranch, OutputField)

and it will filter another file based on the data in the previous file. 

Essentially, I am trying to create a dynamic filter where a user can simply upload a file with the filter criteria in it. 

Is this possible in Alteryx?

I have uploaded a sample data file, and a sample filter file. The filter would also need to handle more complicated operators, such as contains and not equal to, and things like that.  

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
Claje
14 - Magnetar

Hi,

Depending on how well you can train users on syntax or control the file upload, the CReW macros have a really powerful Dynamic Formula tool.

You could essentially configure an input into this, and then add something eg: IF (Your user formula) Then 1 Else 0 ENDIF and then set up a filter with something like [FilterCriteria] = 1

If you still want more control than this, you could probably use the ideas in the Dynamic Formula tool to build a Filter tool to accomplish this

danrh
13 - Pulsar

Take a look at the attached and see if this gets you there.  The trickiest part was the operator.  I couldn't think of a good way to implement, so I ended up using a switch statement in a Formula tool and running through the possibilities.

Capture.PNG

Hope it gets you closer!

khana0530
5 - Atom

Thank you so much! That was super helpful and got me really close to what I needed!

Labels