Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Dynamic Filepath

J-Riedel
8 - Asteroid

I have a process where I am creating a dynamic file name to add the date to the file name for output in the in the Output Data tool using the option Change File/Table Name using the Change Entire File Path.  Upstream I have created a field that contains the entire file path where I have it coded to one of our network drives:  "\\ABC Network Folder\Accounting\Alteryx\Data Output"+DateTimeNow()+".xlsx|||Sheet1". 

All was working great, until someone (don't know who!) in the corporation changed a part of the pathname that I had within the process, which broke my process.  They changed the folder name to \\ABC Network Folder\Accounting\Alteryx Testing\.

My question: Is there a way to somehow use a wildcard when creating the filepath in order to prevent this from breaking in the future if someone where to again change a folder name?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@J-Riedel One option use the Directory tool and keep the path of the common name and select the include sub directories. Then you can add a filter tool to filter only the file you wanted to process

binuacs_0-1652878761892.png

DataNath
17 - Castor
J-Riedel
8 - Asteroid

I am a little confused on how either of these options would work.  I was creating the filepath in a formula tool, would I not want to use the formula tool?

DataNath
17 - Castor

@J-Riedel you would still use the formula tool, but instead of feeding in "\\ABC Network Folder\Accounting\Alteryx\Data Output", you would use the nomenclature in that thread that looks back the amount of directories you want to look back through. So it'd be something like:

" ......"+DateTimeNow()+".xlsx|||Sheet1". 

J-Riedel
8 - Asteroid

How will this work then when a user is running the process off the Gallery (Server)?

Labels