Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic Email with Dynamic Files?

sky007
7 - Meteor

Hello, I have a folder that constantly gets updated every Monday with csv files that I would like to send out to people. Each of the files are unique to certain teams in our company and for that reason I'd like to create a way using the email tool to only send each respective file to the team it goes to. *Also not all the time does every team receive an email, it's only when they have stored data in that folder for that particular monday*

I believe this would mean that I'd have to utilize the field columns in attachments and the to section, but how would I do that to get what I need done? There are over 20 teams that I'd need to email constantly with the files updated in the folder so creating a bunch of different filters won't work for me. There has to be a way to get it all to work with some type of Macro.

Any help would be much appreciated!! 

sky007_0-1623173107577.png

6 REPLIES 6
mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hard for me to visualize without actual data/process, but can you get your workflow, pre-Email tool, to a point where you basically have it down to, on a per-record basis, who the email is going to and what the attachment(s) are?

Something like:

2021-06-08 13_52_03-Alteryx Designer x64 - New Workflow5_.png

sky007
7 - Meteor

Yes I can. I added that into the workflow and tried again but I had to stop it because it ran too many emails.

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

With the Email tool, it will send one email per record.  So if you have, say, 100 records with the same exact "to" and "attachment" values, then 100 emails will be sent to that same "to" list with that same "attachment".  Add a Summarize tool and group by those two fields so you get unique "to" - "attachment" groupings.  

sky007
7 - Meteor

Sorry, I found what I did wrong. Your solution worked. Thank you for the help! Glad to know that there was a simple solve to what I thought was going to be difficult!

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Excellent, glad to hear!!

jsilavong
8 - Asteroid

Hi, 

Could you please share this workflow. I am looking to create something similar where I want my workflow to pick up any pdfs dropped in a folder and email them out as separate emails to a contact. 

Labels