Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic Column Name Using Data in 2 Rows

sanketkatoch05
8 - Asteroid

Hello, 

I'm looking for a specific type of output, wherein, the first two rows get merged into one using concatenation, and then they are converted into column headers. 

PS: The dates are random and are not in any specific order. 

Check out the files below. 

Input.pngOutput.png

First is the input file, 

The second is the desired output file. 

PS2: This data does not have any headers, I want to take the header from the row which has the concatenated data (marked in blue which is either the first row or the second row. 

Thank You.

12 REPLIES 12
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @sanketkatoch05 

Here's a general approach you can use, I made up some test data but it should get you in the right direction. 

Luke_C_1-1618522673815.png

sanketkatoch05
8 - Asteroid

Hey, can you resend the input file, Alteryx is showing me an error - File not found 

Luke_C
17 - Castor

@sanketkatoch05  Sure here it is

sanketkatoch05
8 - Asteroid

Hi, @Luke_C , everything works fine, but there's just one problem,

instead of F1 & F2, is it possible to have A and B as the column headers? 

Also, after doing Cross Tab, the format of text changes from (2021-02-09) C to _2021_02_09__C, can I can the old format back?

Thank you. 

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @sanketkatoch05 

Yes, you can use a dynamic rename to take care of that. One of my pet peeves with the crosstab tool! See attached and let me know if you have any questions. If this helps please mark as accepted!

sanketkatoch05
8 - Asteroid

Hey, @Luke_C 

This works like charm, but you missed my first question. "Can I get A & B as my column headers instead of F1 & F2"? 

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @sanketkatoch05  should be handled by the last select tool in there unless I'm misunderstanding.

sanketkatoch05
8 - Asteroid

Hey, 

I was talking about this highlighted A and B.

Capture.PNG

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @sanketkatoch05 

Are you looking at the output? Seems to be okay. Are you looking for a different approach? 

Luke_C_1-1618604411258.png

Labels