Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic Append based on Column

manjuul
5 - Atom

Hello everybody, 

i have the following table, which includes different dimension types and corresponding dimension data:

Dim_TypeDim_Index

Based on this i need to create the following table, which has Dim_Types as header and includes all combinations of the Dim_Index in the rows:

Dim_Type_1Dim_Type_2

Currently i am achieving this by using multiple filter and append field tools. But as the solution has to work for different datasets with different dimension types, i would like to do it dynamically so it automatically works for more dimension types. 

Is there a "smarter" way to dynamically append the fields to generate this table?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hey @manjuul 

There are going to be many ways to solve this problem but this is one way. I didn't handle your header names but the unique values will scale to however many you have. 

Hope this helps! 

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
manjuul
5 - Atom

Hi Joshua, 

thanks for your fast reply. Unfortunately its not quite what i'm trying to achieve, as it does not generate new columns for each "Dim_Type". I'm looking for something that works like the workflow i attached, but for a dynamic count of Dim_Type and Dim_Index.

Is it possible to achieve something like this?

Best Regards

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hey @manjuul 

I don't think this is possible in pure Alteryx. Happy to be wrong. See my Python based solution attached,

PhilipMannering_0-1605876392302.png

manjuul
5 - Atom

Hi Philip,

indeed this seems to work. Maybe its time to get more into Python. 

Thanks!

Nicholas_White
8 - Asteroid

Hi everyone,

I used @PhilipMannering 's Python solution for an issue I was having, thank you very much!

Nick

Labels