Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Duplicate String value in two columns

JAF
6 - Meteoroid

I am trying to insert the same string value into two adjoining columns.  Like so:

Nameemployee numberRoleTitle
John Smith12345AnalystAnalyst
Jane Doe67890LeaderManager
Bob Grant45678Engineer

Senior Engineer

How do I force text into Role and Title of Analyst for John Smith in first row?

8 REPLIES 8
echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

If I understand your question, you can use a formula tool to isolate the row with conditional statements then update the values where needed.

echuong1_0-1584709978193.png

JAF
6 - Meteoroid

Thank echuong1...

I tried the same thing but I get Null in the second field.  Like two identical values are not allowed:

JAF_0-1584710783268.png

Dave Harvey should be in both columns but I get a [Null] on the second column.  Could it be my Alteryx version?

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

You can have the same value in multiple columns. Are you able to upload your workflow and/or a sample of the data you're working with? Based on the screenshot, I can't see the syntax of the formula you're updating with.

JAF
6 - Meteoroid

I went ahead and dropped the Alteryx work flow.

I'm working with Salesforce.  How do I drop Salesforce data?

JAF
6 - Meteoroid

I couldn't see the Alteryx workflow I inserted...

Ah...  It's there now...

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Can you write the data coming in from Salesforce to an excel file and upload that? You have multiple Salesforce inputs, and I think the error is coming from the formula tool at the end. I really just need the data coming out of the Sort tool (highlighted below).

With regard to the values being null in your last screenshot, one of the formulas that has a null output is probably overwritting the values.

echuong1_0-1584712233081.png

JAF
6 - Meteoroid

Hi echoung1,

I was pulled into a meeting.

I asked one of the other developers and he said he would get back to me.

I'll ping you later if I don't get a response from my coworker.

Thanks again!

JAF
6 - Meteoroid

HI again echoung1...

You were absolutely correct.  In my formula I assigning values that were null.  Thanks for pointing that out.  I will mark your response as resolved.

Thank you again and warm regards!

Labels