Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Dropdown tool not updated after updating the input file

alt_tush
9 - Comet

HI,

I am developing small app where I used the dropdown tool. This dropdown tool is connected to input file from where the dropdown value is reflected while running the workflow as APP.

The problem is while I updated my input file then updated value is not populated in dropdown list.

I save the Excel file in particular location and this file used in app.

Is there any way where I can update the dropdown tool value while opening it as APP whenever I update the excel file

Thank you in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @alt_tush,

If you fill your dropdown list with a connected tool you won't have the updated information. if you run the workflow and then check afterwards you will see that it is in this case updated. That is because before running the application, the dropdown will always have the options listed from the last run.

I would recommend to have the tool connected to an outside source (a file with all the options)

Regards

alt_tush
9 - Comet

Hi afv2688,

Thank you for your quick response. Do you have any example which you can share with me.

Also I want to deploy this app on Alteryx gallery. So whenever my Excel file updated or add any value then it should automatically updated or refresh in Dropdown.

Or else if it is not possible in dropdown, can you please help me on any other alternative.

Really appreciate your help

Thanks 🙂

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@alt_tush In the dropdown configuration, the external file option is the only one I know of that is dynamic and would update at runtime:

patrick_digan_0-1604068123349.png

You would then be able to reference an external file and it would update the dropdowns whenever the excel file is updated. The app will go grab the file at runtime.

When running on the server, you'll have to make sure the filepath is UNC (\\server\folder\file.yxdb is UNC while H:\folder\file.yxdb is not). You'll also need to make sure the user that runs your jobs can access that filepath.

alt_tush
9 - Comet

HI patrick_digan,

Thank you for your reply.

External Sources consider only fixed path. In my process there is a stg dev and prd are different structure. So when I deploy this app from dev to prd, it will consider the file from dev only.

So is there any way my file path automatically change from stg to prod and pick the file from prd dynamically.

Thank you again 🙂

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @alt_tush,

If you use relative paths it would work independently if the structure you are using on all stages is the same. Try using relative instead of fixed paths and lets us know.

Regards

alt_tush
9 - Comet

Hi afv2688,

Thank you for your help.

Yes relative path is working file but problem is when I update the file the additional value is not reflected in dropdown list. It shows me old dropdown values only,

If I rerun the workflow then only it gives mi updated value as well but it is also again I need to deploy the workflow in gallery whenever I do change in excel file. So I want to avoid the deployment process again and again whenever the file is update.

It should automatically update in dropdown in gallery whenever new value added into file.

Thanks again 🙂

adrilarotta
8 - Asteroid

Hi @alt_tush,

I'm having the same problem currently, did you find the way to solve it?

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

so I was running a drop down from a macro and came up with an interesting hypothesis:

In your base macro if you set up your initial data as coming from a text input versus a file input your dropdown choices WILL update at run.  If you use a file your choices are fixed based upon the initial file which the dropdown was connected to...

I've been working on a macro which provides what continuity with respect to the percentage of dependent variable in test/train data sets. (in R this would be the Sample.Split function. I was having an issue with getting a macro which would take new data in and allow for field selection based upon that new data source, and a further issue with the dropdown not updating...

I decided to see how Alteryx handles this issue with predictive tools with embedded dropdowns (ie most regression model tools)... I noticed that Alteryx relies upon text input for all dropdowns which will be overwritten by user data in predictive macros.

Alteryx itself uses text inputs to get their dropdowns to work. I reset my macro to use a text input vs a file input and voila. It works.

Labels