Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dropdown List in Excel Output from Alteryx

simran_d_
5 - Atom

Hi Alteryx Community,

I am trying to generate a dropdown list in my Alteryx output to an Excel spreadsheet. 

I want the cells in the column Result to be a dropdown list with values from either 'Success', 'Failure' and 'Inconclusive'. I want the user of the Excel file to be able to select from the dropdown list. 

Any ideas?

Thanks!

15 REPLIES 15
mst3k
11 - Bolide

you could definitely do this, but it won't be fun.

you need an excel template file, where you've already a sheet or a named range where you'll store the list for the dropdown data validation. create the data validation. if the number of items that can be in the list is variable, you're going to have to do some even trickier excel formulas to only use whatever is in the list, but it's all possible. the idea is you have an excel target file already built and set up how you want the end product to be.

assuming you want to be able to repeat this process, and so you don't want to lose your template, you would need alteryx to do a Run Command tool with a .bat script to make a copy of your excel template file. then you just have alteryx point to the new copy and dump the data in there. it will be tricky and take a lot of work, but if this is really the only way to do what you need to do, it's possible.

i have made workflows where alteryx creates an excel report with a formatted pivot table for example, by doing this same process essentially

iCFO
9 - Comet

Edit - My original response was a more of a guide to creating Excel controllers and avoiding pitfalls and errors... It was meant for another thread.

TheAutomationGuy
5 - Atom

I would say that this is not a pointless idea for some. I myself have to break out multiple files from systems that get combined then broken out by department and distributed to staff. I have to create 50 plus files a month to get sent out to staff to review and this would keep the deviation from responses to a minimum.

NISHA_373
6 - Meteoroid

Can you share the macro. Does it gives dropdown to your alteryx output file?

Raghu9900
5 - Atom

Could you please share the workflow for what you have created dropdown in excel? Or steps how to perform in alteryx?

HomesickSurfer
12 - Quasar

Hi @simran_d_ 

Either use the Output Data tool and overwrite range and preserve formatting (keeping Excel cell validation), or; use Blob tools to duplicate a formatted template that contains the Yes/No data validation dropdowns.

Labels