Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Drop Down does not Refresh

sbaker
8 - Asteroid

I am attempting to populate a Drop Down in an analytical app with data from a .yxdb.  When I run the workflow as an app, the Drop Down stays populated with old data and does not refresh based on current data in the .yxdb.  In order to refresh the Drop Down I must first press Ctrl-R.  How do I refresh the workflow when running it as an app?

I've attached my workflow.  If you run it as an app, you'll see that the Drop Down includes only one row, and the input includes 26 row.  However the Drop Down will re-populate with 26 rows if you press Ctrl-R. 

7 REPLIES 7
Claje
14 - Magnetar

This is a tricky one to solve for.  At a high level, can I ask a little more about the source data?  Is this list of CRM's going to be provided by the app user, or is it stored in a consistent location, and you just want dynamic CRM Numbers?

sbaker
8 - Asteroid

The CRM Numbers are stored in a consistent location - in this case a .yxdb that is populated from a previous workflow.  I do want dynamic CRM Numbers.

Claje
14 - Magnetar

Well, that should make it a lot easier! :)

There might be a little bit of tweaking we have to do to the pre-job to get this to work, but I should have a solution.

If you have a Drop Down tool without a predecessor, one of the list values you can choose is "External Source - Must contain NAME && VALUE fields (can be relative path)"

Here, you can browse out to a file as a data source:

DropDownExample.png

Please note, that as the "External Source" prompt states, the file you browse to must have a "NAME" field and a "VALUE" field.  To get around this (assuming that we can add a column to the .yxdb without issue), just add a Formula tool.  The below screenshot is in 10.5, but hopefully should give you enough context to configure your PRE job.

DynamicNameValueFormula.png

That should give you the required dynamic list of CRM numbers.

sbaker
8 - Asteroid

Thank you.  The Drop Down now populates when run as an app, and this approach is much simpler.

Metabrit
7 - Meteor

Claje, I'm having a similar issue of drop down's not refreshing.

Could you explain where in that test workflow you put the formula tool? I don't quite understand how you solved this issue.

Claje
14 - Magnetar

Hi,

In this particular case, since the input file was being generated in one workflow, with this process in a second workflow, and the input file always had a consistent file name/location, the solution I recommended was to use that Formula tool in the first workflow to create the necessary NAME/VALUE columns for the Drop Down tool.

If your workflow follows a similar structure, that solution should work for you as well.

If it does not, it might be helpful if you can give a high level explanation of how your workflow processes, so I can try and help!

AndrewCrayford
8 - Asteroid

How can i get this to work if i connect to an sql table?

Labels