Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Drop Down Tool to Update Filter Selection Not Working

twheeler
7 - Meteor

I am trying to use the drop-down tool to update filter selection and can't seem to get it to work.  The workflow has the filter selecting a Tax Function of Human Resources.  When I try to run the app and select a different function, i.e. Legal, the data in the workflow is not updating.  I am hoping this is easy to fix, and I just don't understand how to use the action tool properly.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Sample workflow is attached.

9 REPLIES 9
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@twheeler Great question! You just need to highlight a different line in your action tool:

Capture.PNG

You were updating the line for the custom filter (which is greyed out and you're not using). You instead need to update the line for the basic filter. It's not at all obvious from the action tool's setup.

twheeler
7 - Meteor

Patrick - Thank you SO much!  So, just to make sure I understand, the Simple tree branch represents the Basic filter in the Actions tool?  Is that correct?

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Yes you are correct. I'm not sure where you are in your Alteryx journey, but the custom filter is the way to go once you are familiar with the filter tool :)

twheeler
7 - Meteor

I am early in my journey and still learning every day.  I could see how the custom filter would be way more flexible and beneficial.  I did some quick work here to try to build a prototype for internal discussions.  Thanks again for your help!

F_Leghorn
5 - Atom

I'm having the same issue.  Using a drop down and action tool to populate/change the value in a basic filter.  The action tool seems to be configured correctly but the values aren't being entered/updated in the filter.  I am using a file to populate the drop down (rather than have the user choose from 1,300 options) but that too, appears to be formatted correctly (Name & Value fields) because the drop down is populated and functioning.

I'm baffled as to why it's not working.  Having trouble attaching the wizard to this board message too.  Sorry.

Filter_test.JPG

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@F_Leghorn  I would try using debug mode (see the "test" section https://help.alteryx.com/current/InterfaceDesigner.htm). This will give you a separate workflow with a comment box showing you what was selected as well as the filter tool after the action tool.

F_Leghorn
5 - Atom

Workflow is attached

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@F_Leghorn  tldr: the value column in your stores_for_drop-down.yxdb is currently set to 1 for all records. It should instead be set the store id which is the same as your name column.

Here is what you currently have:

Capture.PNG

The name field is shown to the user and the value field is passed to the action tool and then the filter tool. Here is what you should have:

Capture2.PNG

In case anyone finds it useful, here is how I attacked your problem. I went to the interface designer, chose the second icon (test view) and selected the first store id. I then clicked open debug. Here is the comment box that was generated in the debug workflow:

Original File Name: C:\Users\216005535\Downloads\Filter_test\Test Filter.yxwz

App Values:
<WizardValues>
<Module>\Test Filter.yxwz</Module>
<Value name="Drop Down (3)">1</Value>
</WizardValues>

Actions Log:
Started running Test Filter.yxwz at Tue Jun  4 14:29:14 2019
00:00:0.007 - Alteryx: The Condition Named="(Always Run)", Expression="1" was True

00:00:0.010 - Alteryx: The Action Named="Tool #4", Type="UpdateValue" was run

The import line is this one:

<Value name="Drop Down (3)">1</Value>

We selected a store id of 458, and it's passing the value of 1 to the filter. We can also check the filter tool and see the issue as well:

Capture3.PNG 

From there i went and inspected your file that's feeding the drop down and saw that the value column was all 1.

F_Leghorn
5 - Atom

You were correct.  Thanks so much!

Labels