Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Drivetime Drive Distance Calculatiom

rmitra14
7 - Meteor

Hi All,

I have a 20M dataset. The dataset have customer Latitude, Longitude info and corresponding store Latitude Longitude info. I want to calculate Drive time and drive distance from Customer to Store. 

But I saw that the run time is really huge. 

So I checked with 100 sample records. 

What I found is:

For small distances between two points (Say less than 10 miles), Alteryx Spatial is not taking much time to calculate Drivetime and Drive distance.

But for large distances, it is taking so much time.

My intuition is that for bigger distance it usually take much time. Is it true?

Can anyone please suggest me what is the convenient way to complete this?

5 REPLIES 5
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

It's true that longer distances take longer to compute, and there isn't much getting around that for drive times. Make sure the dataset is installed on a local drive (same computer that's running Alteryx) and not on a network drive for best performance.

rmitra14
7 - Meteor

Thanks Charlie.

Brian6
8 - Asteroid

I have the same issue ... very large datasets making driving distance impossible to use.  I submitted a suggestion this morning asking for "estimated driving distance"  Which would be helpful for compliance calculations.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Estimated-Driving-Distances-needed-for-CMS-R...

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

That many records will make it more difficult, but certainly not impossible to use. There's no limitation by the product, only in how computer resources are used to process this request. I suggest breaking up the record calculation using a batch macro to better manage computer resources, or across multiple computers simultaneously. 

Brian6
8 - Asteroid

I agree there is no record limitation but ....

Labels