Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Drag and Drop excel files Issue

Soxfaninfl
8 - Asteroid

Hello Everyone,

For some reason, I am unable to drag and drop excel files (xlsx & xls) onto my canvas. I'm running the following Alteryx Designer version: 

mackedet_1-1656540748471.png

I'm not sure if "Running Elevated" has something to do with it?

Thanks,

mackedet

5 REPLIES 5
DataNath
17 - Castor

@Soxfaninfl a few of my colleagues had this issue and it indeed came from running it as Elevated (running as Administrator).

To get around this you can go to properties > advanced and untick 'Run as Adminstrator':

DataNath_0-1656541737269.pngDataNath_1-1656541769769.png

Soxfaninfl
8 - Asteroid

I don't have it checked.

mackedet_0-1656542066820.png

DataNath
17 - Castor

Even though your default is set to that, is there a chance that you opened Alteryx as an administrator? I believe the issue comes from a Windows feature which prevents users from moving files from an area of lower privilege (in this case your file explorer), to one of a higher security (i.e. Alteryx where you're running Elevated/as an Administrator).

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@DataNath 
Thanks for the great tip.

@Soxfaninfl 
I can replicate the comment of @DataNath , after unchecking the option "Run as administrator" I was not able to drag and drop.
Maybe you can just reinstall the alteryx if not too much hustle? 

Soxfaninfl
8 - Asteroid

Yes, I guess I will try to uninstall and reinstall the application.

Labels