Alteryx Designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Downloading data with spatial object from SDE through alterxy

I was able to connect to SDE through alteryx. However, alteryx is reading the data without spatial objects. Does the spatial object stored as a different file? If so, how to import it with the data table?

Thanks
Arun

9 REPLIES 9
lowens
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Hi Arun,
Spatial Database Engine is currently not supported in Alteryx. I have placed a feature request with our Products team. Alteryx does support a variety of other formats including .GDB. Would it be possible for you to use .GDB?
michael_team
7 - Meteor

Just curious if there has been any progress on getting Alteryx to connect to ESRI SDE data?

Thanks

zendonadi
5 - Atom

Hi Arun!

Is there any news on the subject?

Thank you

michael_team
7 - Meteor

I have successfully connected to our SQL server SDE DB using Alteryx. I found the key to being able to access the spatial object is to make sure it is the last column in the table, which you can do via the SELECT query. Otherwise it will pull in all the columns OK but the SpatialObj column comes in as <NULL>.

zendonadi
5 - Atom

I really aprecciate your help Michael. Can you please provide me an example?

zendonadi
5 - Atom

I've tried the same connecting in our Oracle Database, but didn't work. Also tried to follow these steps https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000009667 and the following error message is displayed:
"Error OCIStmFetch: ORA-21500: internal error code, arguments: [%s],[%s],[%s],[%s],[%s],[%s],[%s],[%s]]".

michael_team
7 - Meteor

Are you able to connect to the SDE DB, and just not getting the Spatial Object, or not able to connect at all?

Not sure how it's different from Oracle, but my SQL query is this:

Select PIM_DB.OBJECTID, PIM_DB.Name, PIM_DB.Status, PIM_DB.Location, PIM_DB.City, PIM_DB.State, PIM_DB.Total_SqFt, PIM_DB.ActionType, PIM_DB.ActionDate, PIM_DB.Source, PIM_DB.Comments, PIM_DB.created_user, PIM_DB.created_date, PIM_DB.last_edited_user, PIM_DB.last_edited_date, PIM_DB.Shape From PIM_DB

If Shape is not the last column in the query, then it comes in as NULL. DM me if you want to talk further. 

zendonadi
5 - Atom
Hi Michael,
I've replicated your proposal on oracle but the error still persists.Anyway I really appreciate your help.Rafael

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
sagarb
8 - Asteroid

Hi @zendonadi  @_arun_gurubaramurugeshan  @michael_team 

I came across the same error and st_geometry looks to be the culprit. one of the workarounds is to ask your DBA to have the data type change to sdo_geometry and it will work fine. I have a view on top of my table and the view has sdo_geometry as the datatype for that column ( check to make sure there are no other st_geometry columns)

Labels