Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Downloading and working with GeoJSON

SGolnik
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

I am trying to download GeoJSON. When I google search or search the community everything that I am seeing says to select the GeoJSON file type in the input tool, but most of those posts are many years old and I am not seeing that file type. Do I just need to parse it like JSON and somehow use the data to build the spatial object?

Here is one of the files I am working with: https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/feed/v1.0/detail/pr2018360015.geojson . I am downloading another GeoJSON file related to earthquakes and within that file contains a link similar to this one with additional details.

Any help is appreciated!!!

4 REPLIES 4
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

It depends on  what you want to do with it - if just get the point out as a spatial point then I believe you can just cast to a SpatialObj using a select tool

2018-12-28_18-28-46.png

If you need additional data then you can use the ParseJSON tool to get additional fields out.

Simple sample parsing the spatial point attached

SGolnik
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

That is helpful and works very well with a point. I happen to be dealing with all kinds of catastrophic event data so I tried it with a few other GeoJSON files. It doesn't seem to work with a multi-polygon like in this flood data: http://origin.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/nationalfloodoutlook/occurring.geojson ....would this type just be easier to parse out with a JSON parse and after a bit more data cleansing create points and then use the poly build tool?

I am still fairly new to spatial data, so any and all assistance is truly appreciated!

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I think it is that it can't cope with a FeatureCollection.

I implemented the following:

2018-12-28_22-45-03.png

Basically this uses a JSON parse to get the type field if it is a FeatureCollection then it breaks into separate features and rebuilds the JSON.

This seems to cope with the two examples you gave

Sample attached

scottsgoingon
6 - Meteoroid

Any suggestions for when you are provided with a file type geojson that has a feature collection?

I am trying to parse out the line strings in attached file. I have changed the extension to csv to get it to load onto the community

thanks
Scott

Labels