Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Downloading a zip file and then extracting the XML file inside

aeulusan
7 - Meteor

Hi Everyone,

I have developed the attached workflow in which I try to download a zip file from a URL, which changes daily based on the date. Then I try to unzip this file by using a dynamic input. However I am getting the error below. It does not make sense because when I configured the dynamic input tool, I have actually specified the XML file in the zip file. 

Please ignore the container in my canvas. That is not part of the workflow, it was just for testing.

Can anyone help me with this problem? Thanks community!!

dynamic_input_error.PNG

3 REPLIES 3
MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @aeulusan 

The bit that is missing in your workflow is a reference to the file within the zip. Think of the archive as an excel workbook (folder) and the xml as a sheet (file). When telling the dynamic input what you'd like to open, you need to specify the full path workbook and the sheet (zip and the xml file).

What you can do, is to create another field using your formula tool called file path and add a reference to the xml file 

filepath.png

[filename]+"|||20190502-gleif-concatenated-file-lei2.xml"

and then use this field within the dynamic input tool

dynamic.png

Hope that helps.

Michal 

aeulusan
7 - Meteor

Thank you it worked to the point of dynamic input. However after that, my workflow cannot read the XML file inside. You can see attached the problem I am having. 

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

@aeulusan

Because this is an XML file, you may need to either

• tweak how the file is parsed within the Input Data Source Template 

dynamic-xml.png

• Or read it in as a plain file and parse it out yourself using XML Parse tool

What is the expected output?

Labels