Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Downloading Excel File from a URL and using the data

msve
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I created below workflow to download data from a website. Can I use the same workflow to read the file and use that data? 

Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9
LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora

Hey @msve 

You absolutely can!! This is one of my favourite tricks in Alteryx.

You can save the file as a temp file and then read it back in using dynamic input.

I've attached the example

msve
8 - Asteroid

Awesome. Thank you so much.

luisangelico
5 - Atom

Hi, If I change the URL to mine, isn't it supposed to work?

I got this error when I do it:

luisangelico_0-1599341527913.png

I'm trying to download this file:

https://www.tesourodireto.com.br/data/files/EE/E3/A1/59/6266F610BB8E41E6894D49A8/LFT_2019.xls

SHoughton
5 - Atom

Hi,

I am having a similar issue, but I guess the issue is due to it being an Xlsx file that I am downloading.

Maybe it only works with CSV files. Did you find a workaround?

SHoughton
5 - Atom

Hi, Hope this helps anyone wanting to download Excel files from a URL.

The file below allows for XLSX files, XLS files and CSV files to be downloaded (a different technique for each).

CSV method is the one LordNeilLord suggested.

XLS method uses the link luisangelico provided

XLSX method uses a link I was struggling with (Note if seeing the example on this bear in mind it will take 2 minutes to run as a massive file size)

Hope this helps some people wandering to the page and if it does, please give me a like. I have been racking my brain for the last Week and eventually found a solution 🙂

Stephen.

blacksoda
6 - Meteoroid

this worked!! Awesome job, SHoughton! 

Raj_007
8 - Asteroid

Hi, when i tried to run this workflow which saves a file to the local - this is not erroring when i run it in alteryx server

BobSnyder85
8 - Asteroid

I appreciate this so much that I reset my password, and fought w/ password requirements for 5 minutes, and still came back to log in and find this and upvote it! Thanks!!

pmaier1971
Alteryx
Alteryx

Extremely useful tip. One addition: When used on a server, a "Block Until Done" may come in handy...

Labels