Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Download tool return string size

ansonwun
8 - Asteroid

Hi. I am using the Download tool to get some xml data. Unfortunately the data returned exceeds the length/char size of a V_WString so part of the data was cut off. May I know if there's a way to reduce the size to write (say if I already know the xml nodes that I need to get), or possible to use other data types to store it?

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Usually the result from a download tool shows as if it is truncated but actually it is not.

I would suggest you write the data as an undelimited (\0) text file and open in a text editor to truly understand whether the response is malformed, my feeling is that it isn't actually.

Alternatively you can write the response straight to a file and then read this in subsequently. This may resolve the issue.

Ben

ansonwun
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the reply @BenMoss.

Yeah I tried outputting to undelimited, yxdb, and xlsx and the string seems to be truncated. Character count is at 8390 - I thanks that's the limit of v_wstring?

I did try to configure output directly to file within the Download Tool but couldn't figure out how to set the file type...

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

How about a BLOB?

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
ansonwun
8 - Asteroid

Thanks both. Sorry my bad - I didn't look carefully. The returned string wasn't in proper xml format. I kept looking for closing node tags at the end of the file and didn't see them, so I thought the value was truncated. It's all good now.

rrahu07
8 - Asteroid

@MarqueeCrew can you please post some more videos on your channel about blob tool? I asked for some help in discussions about blob tool. Did not get any help so far. I am interested in learning about it. Hope to see your post on youtube.

HELP!! - Alteryx Community

Labels