Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Download tool error

Rags1982
10 - Fireball

Hi

Not sure where to put this. I'm getting an error while using the download tool. 

When I try to get information from a website, I get an SSL Connection error. However, I ONLY get this error when the workflow is set to use the AMP engine. When using the normal engine I get no errors.

9 REPLIES 9
CristonS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

hi @Rags1982 I am moving this post to the Designer Discussions, where it will get maximum visibility and faster responses. (Also, this particular forum is for product suggestions 👍 )

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hey @Rags1982 

Theres a couple reasons for this potentially.

As per the AMP engine documentation:
https://help.alteryx.com/20213/designer/tool-use-amp

when AMP engine is used with the download tool:

Only UTF8 encoding is supported.

Additionally, with amp engine, i've found it creates new connections a bunch quicker. What i mean by this, is if you are trying to do 20 requests - it will do these extremely quickly (4-8 at a time, if my knowledge of AMP is correct). This could make the server block your requests.

My advise would be to run this not in AMP engine, if not required, if its causing you errors.

However, if you could copy and paste the exact error you receive, I'll try to have another look!

Hope this helps,
TheOC

Bulien
Rags1982
10 - Fireball

Thanks @CristonS  and @TheOC 
Just to add a bit more info: 
I tried the download tool with a number of sites, while using the AMP engine. There were no specific changes to the download tool, just dragged and dropped from the tool bar. 

Even tried linking to google.com, but still got errors in the tool (SSL Connections error) 

Maybe this can be 'fixed' in one of the next updates? It's not causing me a major issue at the moment, as I can just run the workflow without AMP, but maybe others have had this error and don't know the cause? 

TonyaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Rags1982 

Thank you for using the AMP Engine.   Can you please specify what version of Designer you are using?

This does sound like it could be a defect, so I would like to have someone try it in our latest build versions and see if it is still an issue.

Can you please describe your exact configuration that will reliably trigger the error and share a screen shot of the actual error response? 
I will log it as a defect to look into. 

Tonya Smith
Sr. Technical Product Manager, cloud App Builder
Rags1982
10 - Fireball

Hi @TonyaS 

We are currently using version 2021.1. (We can't upgrade until out IT dept fully test each new upgrade) 

From what I've tested, it doesn't matter what site you try to download from as long as it is an https one, not http. As for the tool configuration, it is a straight drag/drop from the tool bar. No extra configuration needed. 

As mentioned, with AMP turned on I get SSL connection errors. With it turned off, it works fine. 

Screenshot of error: 

Rags1982_0-1639386039196.png

With AMP turned off, the results come through: 

Rags1982_1-1639386078142.png

TonyaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

@Rags1982 
We believe this is fixed on more recent versions. 

We used this workflow to confirm on versions 2021.3 and later. I do not have access to a 2020.2 version that I can try. 

Can you confirm that the attached workflow reproduces your issue on your version? 

Tonya Smith
Rags1982
10 - Fireball

Hi @TonyaS 

Yeah, running that workflow with AMP turned on still gives the same error. 

I'm using version 2021.1 now. 

TonyaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Thank you. So likely this is fixed on 2021.3 and later versions. 

Tonya Smith
JaeLim
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Rags1982

I have just tried running a workflow using a download tool, with AMP turned on version 2021.3.

It should work without any errors now I hope. 

Labels