Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Download tool and JSON Parse tools resulting in "too many requests" error message from API

Shelbey
Alteryx
Alteryx

Good morning Community,

I have an API from a vendor that has a 5-second rate limit. I am using the Download and JSON Parse tools to download the data, but I randomly get an error from the API that says "too many requests," meaning that I am calling on the API more than one time in that 5-second window. Sometimes my WF is great and downloads all of the data, and sometimes I get this error and I can't add the new data to my table. On the days I get this error, I double-check my URL is correct by pasting it into Chrome and all of the data is there. This makes me believe my tools are causing this. Has anybody dealt with this before? 

9 REPLIES 9
Treyson
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hey @Shelbey,

How any input records are going into the download tool? Is this happening when you only pass a single record? Can you disclose the vendor?

Treyson Marks
Senior Analytics Engineer
Shelbey
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Treyson 

I have one text input tool that has only one record for the columns URL and KEY. The output of my download tool looks like this:

Shelbey_0-1597077733801.png

And the output of my JSON Parse tool looks like this:

Shelbey_1-1597077800453.png

I have absolutely no idea what I can and cannot disclose here, but I don't believe this will give anything confidential up. Hopefully there is enough information there for you. I can also provide screenshots of how the tools are setup if needed.

asieveking
5 - Atom

Hi @sherbey,
Have you been able to solve the issue? I have an API that has a 300 milliseconds rate limit. 

Shelbey
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @asieveking ,

I still have not been able to solve this issue. @Treyson was nice enough to share his time and make sure my tools were configured correctly. It seems that something is happening behind the scenes with Alteryx that is making the API think it's being called on twice when I'm only clicking the Run button once. It also happens on my scheduled workflows, but the log of when the workflows ran show it only ran once. And it's still completely random -- haven't been able to determine any sort of pattern of when this is happening since it happens both when scheduled and when manually ran. 

asieveking
5 - Atom

I had to develop the function that performs the same action as the "Download" tool attached in the sample file. 

I hope it is useful to you, greetings!

Shelbey
Alteryx
Alteryx

@asieveking I think you might be a lifesaver! I downloaded your sample and put in my api info and everything worked the way it was supposed to 🙂 I'm going to update my WF and schedule it to run like normal and hopefully I never see that 'too many requests' error message again.

Thank you so much!

Shelbey
Alteryx
Alteryx

@asieveking are you still using this process? Have you been experiencing any issues? Some of my team members are saying they are starting to get the rate limit errors again and that maybe these Python tools are no longer compatible with some of the recent updates?

Bigum
6 - Meteoroid

Hello @Shelbey - I'm encountering these issues, and was wondering if you found a solution?

Shelbey
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Bigum 

In this thread, there is a file attachment someone else sent me a while ago that uses Python tools. I've been using that process ever since it was sent to me and I haven't had any issues with the "too many requests" error ever since.

Labels