Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Download files from website and saves in new folders

Vanderleck16
7 - Meteor

Hi everyone, 

I'm trying to automate a process which consists of downloading files from a website.
So, I manage to collect links of the files to download.
Then I use the download tool to download files but I am dealing with an issues to save files into dynamic directory.

Actually, I would like to be able to save the files in a dynamic directory name.
The problem is that the directory does not exist, I would like to built this directory bases on url files.
I don't know if it's clear, so I'm posting you a photo of the workflow as an example.

So, the directory is base on the year of each files. But it doesn't exist yet. There is a solution to create the directory automatically ? Thank you for your help. Alteryx example.PNG

1 REPLY 1
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Vanderleck16 ,

The first bit of advice I would give is don't create folders based on, for example, date. It's totally unnecessary and creates a convoluted and complicated folder structure.

However, if you need to create that folder structure on the fly, the only out of the box tool that can actually create the folder would be the render tool.

To do this, you need to create a formula which dynamically creates the folder to which you are going to drop the new files. Temp is fine, as you are going to read them back in and render them as whatever output you want using the Render tool. For this you will then to create another formula which creates the full path of the destination, including the new dynamic folder. You can then render the outputs into that fullpath directory.

M.

Bulien

Labels